K-12 Music PhilosophyWe believe that music...
We believe that students...
- is an integral part of a complete education;
- develops the entire person and evokes the very essence of humanity;
- benefits society by promoting a culture of excellence;
- fosters teamwork;
- integrates understanding from multiple disciplines;
- develops creativity, problem-solving, critical thinking, and evaluative skills;
- leads to an improved self-concept;
- expands cultural awareness.
Best practices for general music guide us to...
- discover and develop a potential, unique to the discipline;
- develop life-long skills.
- design lessons that help students express themselves vocally, creatively, and kinesthetically through music;
- set high expectations for student learning and have class expectations that are clearly conveyed to children and parents;
- provide students with multiple opportunities to perform a varied repertoire of music alone, as well as with small and large groups;
- use a variety of assessments that are used to monitor and encourage each student's musical achievements;
- develop and maintain a positive learning environment where students feel comfortable creating and performing in front of peers in a variety of small and large settings.