SAFETY RULES FOR SCHOOL BUS RIDERS
Riding the Bus:
- Keep all parts of your body inside the bus at all times.
- Help keep the bus clean. Do not throw trash on the floor or out the windows. There is NO eating or drinking permitted on school vehicles.
- Loud talking, laughing and yelling can be distracting to the driver. Speak at a moderate level and do not cause disturbances on the bus.
- Animals, glass containers or any other dangerous items may not be taken on the bus.
- Keep objects out of the aisle. Book bags, instruments or school projects must be held in your lap or they will not be allowed on the bus. Large instruments are not permitted on the bus (Bass, Cello, Tuba, Baritone Horn and Drums).
- Find a seat as soon as you board the bus. If you have an assigned seat, you must sit in it. Do not leave your seat while the bus is moving. Face the front of the bus at all times and stay seated until the bus stops.
- Share your seat with others. Riders are permitted to ride three to a seat if necessary.
- Silence is required when a bus reaches a railroad crossing.
- Always follow the directions of the bus driver.
- Smoking, lighted matches and open flame are not permitted on the bus.
- The school district reserves the right to bill a student for any damage or disrepair caused to the bus due to vandalism.
Skateboards and scooters are not permitted on the bus.
Waiting for the Bus:
- Drivers will pick up students only at assigned bus stops.
- Help the buses stay on schedule. Be at your stop 10 minutes early.
- Be considerate of private property. Stay off the lawns of homes near the bus stop.
- Stay off the road while waiting for your bus.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before trying to get aboard. Do not push or crowd when getting on the bus.
Leaving the Bus:
- Always cross the street in front of the bus where the driver can see you.
- Stay a safe distance away from the side of the bus.
- Drivers will drop off students only at assigned bus stops. Kindergarten students must have a parent or responsible adult at the bus stop to receive them each day. If there is someone different picking up a student at the bus stop, please inform the driver and the transportation department.
Riding the bus is a privilege. Students must follow the same code of conduct that is in place for the school district. These rules help ensure safe bus transportation for students and the bus drivers. Students who violate these safety regulations may be excluded from riding the bus. Parents are responsible for transporting their child to and from school if the child has been excluded from bus transportation.